Don’t expect for the newest entry in The Matrix film franchise, The Matrix: Resurrections, to spawn a new trilogy. According to the movie’s star Keanu Reeves, there are no plans to make any more sequels. He believes there will be no new Matrix movies in the future.
Reeves revealed this while discussing the future of the franchise during his appearance on the Empire podcast.
“If I had to cast a ballot – no, not a ballot, a vote – I would say that Lana [Wachowski] would not do another Matrix,” Reeves said when asked about a possible sequel to Resurrections.
This is in line with what the movie’s producer James McTeigue recently said in his interview with Collider.
“We’ve got no prequel in mind. We’ve got no sequel in mind. We’ve got no further trilogy,” McTeigue explained.
Still, this might not be enough to squash fans’ hopes for another The Matrix movie since Resurrections itself came unexpectedly. It was previously believed that the story of The Matrix franchise was done with the third movie, The Matrix: Revolutions and that the creators of the franchise, Lana and Lilly Wachowski, rejected the idea of continuing it for years before the fourth movie was announced.
The Matrix: Resurrections came out on December 22, 2021 and was released simultaneously in cinemas and on the HBO Max streaming service. The movie has grossed $68 million at the box office so far while receiving mixed reviews from the audience and the critics.